Do People Really Want the Technological Age?

Iain Kantorski, Editing

Now, more than ever, technology has been thrust forward as the new platform of learning. This change has been gradually taking place over the past few years, but it seems that the COVID-19 pandemic was the ultimate catalyst that solidified its position. The new technological interface has allowed for some unique learning opportunities, yet it shows to diminish certain aspects of the learning process that are essential to content retention. One way or another, it seems that this is the new normal, and everyone has to get used to it.

Sarah Severance, an English teacher at Georgetown High School, expressed her thoughts on the subject.

She said that online, “It’s hard for students to be present mentally and physically.”

She discussed how this can lead to gaps in knowledge that are going to need to be accounted for in the future. This glaring issue concerning an inability to focus has resulted in a mass decline in Mrs. Severance’s students’ grades, and is posing to be a major concern.

Even though she says her current teaching experience is just, “talking to black squares,” she explains how teaching using a technological base isn’t necessarily a problem for her as it may be for other departments.

However ineffective online methods may be, she is hopeful that things will straighten out in the near future.

Students alike seem to be feeling the detriment of technological learning described by teachers.

“You’re on an iPad all day, and then you go home and you’re on an iPad for a few hours more. At that point, you get eye strain and headaches and you can’t finish your homework,” said Brett Plaisted, a student at Georgetown High School.

Plaisted focused on this common issue that plagues many in the technological age. Many have often known that staring at screens for a long duration of time can be harmful, and this new age of technological learning has only further proved this.

Plaisted also brings up the crucial topic of 11:59 pm assignment submissions. He says that the way things used to be, you would hand in all your homework in person which allowed you to manage your at home time and even reconsider assignments overnight in order to make any necessary changes the next morning.

Instead, he adds, students end up having to spend their Friday nights doing homework that’s due at 11:59 pm even though there is no school the next day.

Plaisted feels that students will adapt to the technological interface over the next few years, however, for now, he by far prefers his tangible paper and pencil methods.

The new technological age has pushed to remove long used physical materials that have become instated in people’s culture and has shown to bring along countless complications and concerns. While teachers and students both suffer the consequences, the people can only hope that something will be done to ease or end this technological progression.