A year since the pandemic and a full return to school

Martin Culpepper

On March 13, 2021, Principal Richards announced the school would be closed for two weeks due to the Coronavirus. He instructed students to clean out their lockers before leaving the building. Little did we know, that would be our last normal school day for a while. Those two weeks slowly evolved to be the rest of the year. 

“When Mr. Richards first made his announcement that the schools would be closed for two weeks I was excited and the probably the majority of everyone else was too because it was kind of like a mini vacation from school, but then later we never ended up coming back and that was really upsetting because no one got to finish their school year the right way,” said Georgetown High School senior, Cera Bettencourt.

The start of the 2020-2021 school year began online for two weeks and then transitioned to hybrid learning with cohorts. On November 13, 2020, the school went remote for two weeks and again after Christmas break. 

“I didn’t like starting off the year remotely because it is such a refreshing and exciting feeling to walk up the steps and see your friends again and see what classes you have together and do basic first day of school things. Going remote in December and January didn’t really affect my learning because doing remote school as a whole has been a struggle. I feel like students just try to push through everyday and don’t retain the information as well as they should when they were in school,” Cera said.

April 12, 2021 is the first day of a full return to school. This will allow students who chose to return to learn in person is the way they did before the pandemic. 

“I feel like going back to school full time is going to  be intense, learning wise it will be a lot more effective because students can have a lot more one on one with the teacher. Seeing everyone is gonna be intense because I haven’t really seen the other half of my grade since last March, so just having everyone back is gonna be a little nerve-racking,” Cera said